About Padma Shri Prof. Akhtarul Wasey
Padma Shri Prof Akhtarul Wasey is a one of the most distinguished academician, prominent Islamic scholar, socio-political analyst and administrator. Prof Wasey received his Bachelors of Arts (Hon), Bachelors of theology, Master of theology and Master of Arts in Islamic study from Aligarh Muslim University in 1971, 1975, 1976 and 1977 respectively. He completed Diploma in Turkish Language from Istanbul University in 1983. Earlier, he served as lecturer, reader and professor in Jamia Milia Islamia University, New Delhi. Prof Wasey also worked as the director of Zakir Husain Institute of Islamic Studies at Jamia Millia Islamia and later became Head of the Department of Islamic Studies and Dean of the Faculty of Humanities and Languages, Jamia Millia Islamia. Currently, he is serving as Chairperson Maulana Azad University, Jodhpur, India and as a Professor Emeritus in the Department of Islamic Studies in Jamia Millia Islamia.
He is one of the foremost Muslim faces in the contemporaneously relevant inter-faith dialogue; and above all, one of the best known faces advocating protection and promotion of identity of Indian Muslims as adherents of a tolerant, peace-friendly faith seeking justice and equity for Indian Muslims as equal claimants to the fruits of growth and development. He has provided pro-active leadership to the Indian Muslims in preserving and protecting their ethos in the perspective of secular Indian nation. The public bodies that he has headed or been associated with as member have made significant socio-cultural contributions and enriched our composite heritage
DIFFERENT FORMAL AND INFORMAL DESIGNATIONS
Prof. Akhtarul Wasey is a professor of Islamic studies who taught at Jamia Millia Islamia (National Islamic University) in New Delhi. Currently he is working as President of Maulana Azad University, Jodhpur, India. As a versatile personality he assumed many formal and informal designations. Like
- Formerly he worked as the director of Zakir Husain Institute of Islamic Studies at Jamia Millia Islamia,
- vice-chairman of the Urdu Academy Delhi and a member of the Executive Board of National Council for Promotion of Urdu Language; and president, vice president, /
Foundation of SAARC Writers And Literature, India Interfaith Coalition on HIV/AIDS etc.
- he was also the President of Dargah Committee of the world-famous Chishti Sufi Shrine at Ajmer.
- Treasurer, Maulana Azad Education Foundation.
- General Secretary, South Asia Interreligious Council on HIV/AIDS, a body created by the UNICEF.
- Dean, head of the Department of Islamic Studies and Faculty of Humanities and Languages, Jamia Millia Islamia.
- He is one of the original signatories of The Common Word Document and was also part of the Makah Conference organized at the initiative of King Abdullah of Kingdom of Saudi Arabia on the need and role of Muslims in Interfaith Dialogue.
Prof. Akhtarul Wasey has been invited to 65 academic and semi-academic tours abroad including programmes organized/sponsored by
- UNICEF, (The United State Children’s Fund)
- UNDP, United Nations Development Programme
- UNAIDS, The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV and AIDS
- UNHRC The United Nations Human Rights Council
- Organisation of Islamic Conference
Prof. Akhtarul Wasey is also the editor of four journals of Islamic Studies,
- Islam Aur Asr-e-Jadeed (an Urdu quarterly)
- Islam and the Modern Age (an English quarterly),
- Risala Jamia (an Urdu monthly),
- Islam Aur Adhunik Yug (Hindi)
Apart from his academic achievements he regularly appears on TV, debating on issues related to Islam and Muslims, and has delivered over 400 radio and 300 TV talks along with extensive and frequent writings in different news papers and magazines. He is considered to be a Muslim spokesperson among academicians.
AWARDS & ACHIEVEMENTS
- In 2013 Prof. Akhtarul Wasey received a Padma Shri award (a national honour by the President of India for outstanding achievers among Indian citizens) from President Pranab Mukherjee, honouring him as a distinguished academician, specializing in the multidisciplinary study of Islam and Indian Muslims.
- First Sir Syed Ahmad Khan Award for Interfaith Understanding.
- Aligarh Alumni Association, New York Tristate (US).
- Maulana Mohammad Ali Jauhar Award in 1996,
- Award from Urdu Academy, Delhi and UP Urdu Academy on "Sir Syed Ki Taleemi Tehreek"
- in 1985. He also received a Fulbright Fellowship in 2008, the first ever to a member of the Jamia academic fraternity and the first in the field of Islamic studies in India.
- Prof. Akhtarul Wasey has been appointed by the President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee as the 12th Commissioner for Linguistic Minorities in India w.e.f 4 March 2014 for the tenure of three years. Since 1957, he is the first Commissioner from Urdu speaking community. This is a constitutional authority under Article 350B of the Constitution of India to investigate all matters relating to the safeguards provided for linguistic minorities under this Constitution and report to the President upon those matters at such intervals as the President may direct, and the President shall cause all such reports to be laid before each House of Parliament, and sent to the Governments of the States concerned.
- Prof. Akhtarul Wasey also conferred Makhdoom Quli Medal by the President of Turkmenistan in Ashgabat on 15 May 2014 for his contribution in the field of Islamic Studies and Urdu language and literature.
- He has also been conferred with the highest award of Daktur-e-Adab (equivalent to D. Litt) by Jamia Urdu, Aligarh on 20 May 2014 in recognition of his remarkable services for the promotion of Urdu language.